Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

Author: Andy
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel
On 13/11/06, Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:
> If Debian were that strict on their philosophy then
> they would lock the OS so that only genuine debian packages can be installed.

that is complete rubbish!
That would only work if _every_ piece of free software was a Debian
package. Surely I have the right to chose a different piece of
software that matches the DFSG?

Just because they allow user to install software not vetted by them
doesn't mean they are compromising there morals.
If my system was locked to only run software approved by my OS vendor
I would inform them where they could shove their free CDs.

I have software on my PC that didn't come from the repositories, that
is free software not in the repositories, why should I be locked out
of that even if they wanted to enforce the DFSG (note enforcing DFSG
wouldn't really affect me much, I am not a direct Debian user).

I also do a bit of programming, (trying to learn python), will my code
be locked out because its not a Debian approved package, even if I am
developing it to be released as Free Software? (incidentally I don't
release proprietary software, I generally don't release anything, I
have nothing of that higher quality)

> But they don't they allow the user to make the choice, but by allowing user
> to install altenative non-free software they are breaking their own ethos,

Aren't they supporting their own ethos? I thought Debian's philosophy
stemmed from the right to use and modify your software as you want,
how is controlling a users use of Debian supporting their ethos?

> These companies should be working together to compete with MS.
> While this sort
> of infighting carries on then MS can continues to sit back and watch its bank
> balance grow.

While I disagree with the points you made above, this bit I completely
agree with!
Surely working together is going to strengthen Free and Open Source software.
(I still don't entirely understand the arguments between 'Free' and
'Open Source')

Can't well all just work together to make the best free software that
can be made?

I'm off to go and learn some more python, that or watch spooks in 10
minutes, not decided which.

- Andy (a different one)