Re: [Hampshire] Moving home

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Moving home

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58025100.hantslug.org.uk.31358': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Nov 16 01:18:05 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 06:08:51PM +0000, David Anderson wrote:
> I have a system running Suse Desktop 10. I have 4 disks in the
> machine. I have 3 set up as software raid5 and created an LVM on that.
>
> At the moment /home is on the non-raided disk, and I want to move
> that to the LVM. I will also probably move /etc there as well.

Note that /etc needs to be part of /, not its own filesystem. If
you're putting / inside an LV then you'll need to make sure that you
have an initrd/initramfs which can cope with that.

Also note that grub can't read LVM or RAID5 so /boot would need to
be on something that's either not RAID or is RAID1.

Can you show us your current /etc/fstab and /etc/mdadm.conf please?

> 2. If the "system" disk fails, would I be able to re-install a base
> system and access the raid/LVM?

What do you mean by '"system" disk'? Ideally you would remove the
dead disk and boot off one of the others that you had already
installed grub to, which gets its /boot from another of the RAID1
mirrors and then the machine boots as normal but with all arrays
degraded.

You can also boot off a decent live cd like knoppix, ubuntu or
gentoo and start up md/lvm from there to access your filesystems, of
course.

Cheers,
Andy