Re: [Hampshire] clamav output help

Top Page
Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] clamav output help

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5822b100.hantslug.org.uk.32631': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Nov 16 10:43:13 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key C0CFC6B3CD4C0D9D
On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 09:02:14AM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:

> So this morning I started to run clamscan again:
> [root@Tux:/]# clamscan -ri
>
> Here is the beginning of the result:
>
> ERROR: Can't open file //sys/bus/pci/drivers/e100/new_id
> ERROR: Can't open file //sys/bus/pci/drivers/shpchp/new_id

The files beneath "/sys" are like the files beneath "/dev" - they
are kernel generated and not fully real.

You shouldn't attempt to scan them. I believe it should be
OK because I'm assuming that the scan only involves reading from
them not writing to them. Writing to files beneath /proc, or /sys,
can do very weird things to your system.

For example you might disable a network card, enable IP forwarding, or
more!

(It is similar to writing to files in /dev, where you might accidentally
trash your disk drives because /dev/hda is your disk, not a normal
file.)

So .. ignore the errors and don't scan /sys, /proc, or /dev in
future.

Steve