Re: [Hampshire] newbie Q - why is RPM (sometimes?) not liked…

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] newbie Q - why is RPM (sometimes?) not liked??

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57683100.hantslug.org.uk.9582': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Nov 18 11:44:23 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
alan c wrote:
> I have heard several independent generally adverse remarks about RPM,
> and would be grateful to know some background.
>
> I use/d suse ok, which I know uses rpms, and now k/ubuntu, which I know
> is deb based. Comments even go as far as
> 'RPM hell' - what does rpm do that is unwanted?

RPM Hell is when you get into a series of seemingly unresolvable
dependencies when installing a package. Very often you had to find each
of the relevant .rpm files and try installing each in turn. Circular
dependencies were common too. The secret is to install all the .rpm
files in one go.

These days tools like YAST and yum, along with GUI package managers,
have eliminated the problem. Some would argue that the problem never
existed, as the rpm program wasn't designed for same task as apt-get,
only the installation and removal of packages. The key is that rpm is to
dpkg as yum is to apt.

The wikipedia entry has some advantages and disadvantages of the format:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Package_Manager
and discusses dependency hell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_hell

You might also like to check out Vic's talk on RPM from February:
http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TechTalks/4thFebruary2006

HTH,

Tony