Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] Laptop Suitability

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] Laptop Suitability
john lewis wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:00:36 +0000
> Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
>
>> My brother-in-law has asked me to get him a laptop, and I have seen
>> an IBM T23 (spec below) at Sterling XS for £270. I recall that the
>> older IBM lappies are pretty much sussed as far as Linux goes, so
>> I'll probably sling Ubuntu on it for him. The one thing that
>> bothers me is the price, which is not a million miles away from
>> some branded newer machines.
>
> You won't get IBM quality tho' and it's more powerfull than my
> desktop box :-(
>
> I can't remember if the T series are the desirable ones or not but
> someone like Adrian will know

Well, the T2x machines were built like old Nikon cameras as I recall,
and as my bro-in-law only wants it for email and a bit of browsing, I am
pretty sure it is up to the job.

Laura's comment about the battery was interesting, although I doubt
Steve will use it on the move somehow. I would be interested to know if
the memory and hard drive are user-serviceable or a professional repair
job. Modern Dell machines allow the user to easily get their paws on
most of the components, but this might just be indicative of how often
you might need to do this!

;o)

Anyway, thanks very much to both of you for the replies.

Sean