Re: [Hampshire] Missing /dev/mixer on Debian...

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Missing /dev/mixer on Debian...

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5712f100.hantslug.org.uk.3473': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Nov 20 21:35:53 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 09:15:12PM +0000, John Hunt wrote:
> I've just finished setting up debian etch (well, sort of). Everything
> is going quite well, I have sound, but freevo moans that it can't
> access /dev/mixer and won't play anything. I have it set for mplayer
> to use it's oss driver (much better than the alsa driver for sound
> sync in videos).

Really? AFAIK, ALSA's OSS layer routes pretty much everything
through a separate layer before going through the same processing that
normal ALSA sound goes through, so I'd be pretty surprised if there
was a significant difference there.

> I've got a few alsa-oss packages installed, but I just don't seem to
> get a /dev/mixer node.

The usual problem is that you don't have the modules inserted:

# modprobe snd-pcm-oss
# modprobe snd-mixer-oss

If that works, then put the module names in /etc/modules and it'll
load them on start-up. Oh, and don't forget to run alsamixer and
change the volume off zero...

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
      --- In event of Last Trump,  please form an orderly queue ---
                          and await judgement.