Re: [Hampshire] [OT] has anyone got XP

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] has anyone got XP

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5776d100.hantslug.org.uk.5831': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Nov 22 02:15:53 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 02:00:32AM +0000, m.nuttall@??? wrote:
> Quoting Andy Smith <andy@???>:
> > My understanding is that while Microsoft may say that an OEM licence
> > is not transferable, there is no European law that says this is the
> > case. Of course, MS may block you from updating later anyway. And
> > naturally, they may still decide to sue you, and may win. And I
> > don't believe that either interpretation has ever been tested in
> > court. And I'm not a lawyer.
>
> Havent people heard of the firefox windiz update website?

While transferring a legitimately-purchased OEM licence is
currently thought to be legal in the EU, distributing Microsoft's
updates without permission definitely is not, so I wouldn't expect
this service to be in existence for a long time.

Comments like this publically visible in their forums are one reason
why:

"A friend told me about this site and has i am using a bootleg copy
of Windose its a god send , thankyou very much"

(http://windizupdate.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=62&pid=589#pid589)

Andy