Re: [Hampshire] Re: DVB playback *too* smooth

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: DVB playback *too* smooth

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x570a0100.hantslug.org.uk.20910': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Nov 22 12:25:04 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 12:10:33PM +0000, John Hunt wrote:
> Ok, I'm stumped, how would I:
>
> >then you will need to run it through a simple editing process to fix the
> >synch
>
> ? I'm guess I could use mencoder, but I've no idea how.

Sorry, I was waiting for you to decide which case it was before
writing up the process I use for fixing it.

Basically, you need to remultiplex the video to add the appropriate
AV shift back in. I'm not quite sure why the various players don't
detect and perform this automatically. I use ProjectX and avidemux,
but I suspect that nowadays you can actually just use avidemux for it
without needing ProjectX, so that's what I'm going to describe.

First, open the file in avidemux. It will index it. You can get the
AV shift value from the index file, in the last-but-one line, where it
says "delta=0600 ms" (or some other value, typically positive and
below 1000ms). Then set the format to "MPEG PS A+V", set the "Shift"
value to the negative of the delta value, ensure that you use "Copy"
for both Video and Audio, and save the file again. It will probably
take a few (under 5) minutes to do it, and will be limited by the
speed of your disk, not the speed of your CPU.

It is possible to script the whole process -- if the above process
works for you, then I can yank out the relevant bits of my processing
scripts and try to give you a working one-shot script for fixing
recordings' AV offset.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
                 --- This year,  I'm giving up Lent. ---