Music notation editors (was: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Music notation editors (was: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code)

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x567fd100.hantslug.org.uk.29763': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Nov 23 15:58:06 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 03:43:07PM +0000, John Cooper wrote:
> John Cooper wrote:
> >Hugo Mills wrote:
> >>
> >> Lilypond produces beautiful layout, but is pretty much
> >>unusable without a functioning GUI.
> >>
> Update: Rosegarden does have a notation editor. Install on FC6 took 3
> minutes for Rosegarden, Lilypond + midi stuff
>
> Applications/Add-Remove Software/List
> Select required software from comprehensive list of software.
> Select Ok
>
> Then
>
> Applications/Sound & Video/Rosegarden
>
> Now is that easier and faster than Windows or what? ;-)

Last time I used it, the Rosegarden editor was unusably slow and
unstable. It was actually faster to do the input in the "waterfall"
display, and then shift to the notation page and tweak it there -- and
even then, that was uncertain and painful.

I did discover an editor last night (NoteEdit) which will output a
variety of music formats. However, while using it over a period of
about 15 minutes, I found that I couldn't delete a slur that I'd put
in incorrectly, and it segfaulted. It's not being maintained any more,
as the authors are writing a new system from the ground up -- but
that's still massively incomplete.

My point still stands -- there isn't a functional, usable music
notation editor for Linux.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
   --- To an Englishman, 100 miles is a long way;  to an American, ---
                        100 years is a long time.