Re: [Hampshire] Using Tiscali-supplied DSLmodem in SuSE 10?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Using Tiscali-supplied DSLmodem in SuSE 10?
Gordon Scott wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> A guy at work has just installed SuSE 10 but is struggling to progress
> because his DSL modem isn't going, so he has no access to on-line
> support. I'm afraid I presently know little more about it than that.
> I may learn more tomorrow.
>
> Has anyone set up a a system like that and has pointers or tips?

Not having used a modem to access my broadband connection for many years
I wouldn't know for sure, but probably his modem is windows-only, or
needs specific drivers to be loaded under SuSE for it to work?

Is he flush? Get him to purchase an ADSL modem/router - all of his
problems will pretty much disappear! Amazon were flogging the Zyxel
P660HW wireless one with a bundled usb adapter* for £40, which is pretty
good.

Failing that we'll need a make and model at the very least to progress
any further, so I guess it's back to your mate for the info or badger
him to sign up and provide it himself.

Sean

* I couldn't get the adapter to work with Ubuntu using ndiswrapper, but
at that price it's essentially free anyway.