Re: [Hampshire] Anyone got a working SIP phone?

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Anyone got a working SIP phone?
On Mon, Dec 4, 2006 at 18:56:16 +0000 (+0000), Jonathan Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 13:26:42 -0000 (GMT)
> "Vic" <lug@???> wrote:
>
> > Hi All.
> >
> > I'm testing some SIP stuff on a firewall at the mo - can anyone here
> > make SIP calls?
>
> Yes. I run siproxd, mainly to allow me use multiple endpoints (by
> having an specific proxy for each one). Used it for a long US Conference
> call the other day with FWD (FreeWorldDialup), who provide free access
> to US 08xx numbers.
>
> What's the problem ?
>
> If you want to try direct SIP calling, contact me off list.

Yep, several :-) Yell at me on IRC if you want to test.

twinkle is my favourite softphone.

Nokia E-series SIP phone too but the firmware pretty bad ATM, when it
works, it's fine. It just doesn't work that often :-(

I've also just got a Samsung DECT/SIP phone, but I'll be returning it
since it's falsely advertised as SIP (you can only dial an IP address,
thus you can't actually phone anyone like adrian@??? or any of
the VOIP networks and it doesn't do SRV record lookup). This
effectively makes it SIP for incoming traffic only.

The main problem is NATing and getting the RTP (media) stream to work
okay. There is a nat-sip plugin for linux now which does some
mangling if that helps.

Adrian
--
Adrian Bridgett - adrian@???