Re: [Hampshire] ADSL Modem

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ADSL Modem
* Chris Dennis (cgdennis@???) wrote:
> Philip Stubbs wrote:
> >I am currently on zen internets Home 500 system. I am thinking of
> >upgrading to their 8Mb service for the same price. However, I am not
> >sure my old Netgear DM602 is up to the task.
> >
> >Can anybody provide me with what I need to look for to make sure
> >that a ADSL Modem is compatible with these new high speed services.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >--
> >Philip Stubbs
> >
> Hello Philip
>
> I'm fairly sure it will cope. It's rated as fully G.DMT capable, and
> G.DMT is defined as 'up to 8Mb'. A quick Google didn't come up with any
> stronger evidence, but somebody out there must have tried it.

What has confused me is that some new routers are listed as ADSL2
and ADSL2+. Mine is only referred to as ADSL so I am not sure what
the 2 and 2+ is all about, and if I need it for the type of ADSL
service that Zen offer via BT at 8Mb.

I could just try the upgrade and see what happens. However, if it
will not give me any benefit, then I may just leave it alone.

--
Philip Stubbs