Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux

Author: john lewis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Fw: [Hampshire] Killer Apps for Linux
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 21:20:52 +0000
Adam Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:

> Very few of us actually really interact with the Linux kernel, if
> Debian made GNU/Solaris I'd give it a go - I've no specific loyalty
> to the Linux kernel, I'm more attached to my distribution (Debian
> in my case).

On the other hand if it wasn't for Linus and his kernel we could
still be waiting for Hurd to be useful. For some reason the GNU/Linux
system took hold of people's imagination when the other unix clones
based on the BSD variants didn't.

I know I looked at using Coherent but when Linux came along it didn't
stand a chance - cos Coherent cost money, not a lot but more than
Linux.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application