Re: [Hampshire] Static IP address keeps changing

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Static IP address keeps changing
On Saturday 09 December 2006 15:43, Tony Whitmore wrote:

> You probably have a DHCP client (like dhclient or dhcpc) running. This
> will keep over-writting static configuration information every time the
> DHCP lease is up for renewal. For example:
>
> $ ps aux | grep dhc
> dhcp      4133  0.0  0.0   2524   808 ?        S<s  Dec03   0:00
> dhclient3 -pf /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid -lf
> /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth0.leases eth0
> tony     23830  0.0  0.0   2808   760 pts/2    R+   15:41   0:00 grep dhc

> So I have dhclient3 running. Running "killall dhclient3" as root would
> solve this in my case. You should check that the DHCP client isn't
> starting on system boot too.
>
> HTH,
>
> Tony

Thanks Tony dhclient was running, so I have killed it off.

Not sure why dhclient starting on bootup is causing a problem as I never had
this problem till after last weeks bab, this box has been on static IP since
I have had it.

Does dhclient use dhclient.conf for its setting as there no reference in there
to the local network and the file has a time stamp of 04-11-2004??

How do I stop dhclient from loading at bootup without uninstalling it?

Tim

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html