Re: [Hampshire] Re: DVB playback *too* smooth

Author: John Hunt
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: DVB playback *too* smooth
Ok, so after a lot of playing around, I'm stumped. The sound sync
isn't the issue. It's very strange (I must rip an example).Perhaps a
good way of describing the problem would be to say it seems like
there's not enough memory bandwidth on the PCI bus to get the picture
across smoothly.

For example, while watching a scene where the camera pans across a
landscape, it'll jerk a little bit. Much like trying to watch a video
on a PC which simply doesn't have a fast enough CPU.

I did a bit of googling, and I found it could be a strange setting in
my BIOS for caching PCI transfers or something. However, my BIOS
doesn't have any options like this.

I'm pretty sure it's not the PC as it doesn't struggle at all playing
back 720p x264 stuff, but I'm starting to get the impression I might
just have a really crappy DVB-T card ), lspci says this:

04:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video
and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
04:09.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
Audio Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)

Perhaps I could somehow get my nvidia card to do the mpeg2 decoding?
Although DVDs tend to play back fine.

Any ideas anyone could throw my way would be fab!

Cheers,
John.