Re: [Hampshire] GP2X experience

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GP2X experience
> While looking for new toys I came across the GP2X console, which
> seems to be an Open Source games console at a reasonable price.
> Twin 240MHz ARM9 CPU, 64Mb SDRAM 320*240 colour LCD and so on,
> Linux as the O/S. Has anyone on this list had any experience
> either as developer or user with these. I'm seriously tempted!

I've got one. It's fun :-)

Mine was bought primarily to play MAME and read ebooks. I was going to use
it as an MP3 player as well, but it's a bit bulky for that really.

Video-wise, it lacks a couple of codecs (so I couln't watch Popey's demo
videos without transcoding it).

It does tend to eat batteries - I got a bunch of 2600mAh AAs for it, and
just cycle them in the charger. I wouldn't want to try using it with
anything less.

Probably the biggest frustration I've had with the unit itself is that the
knob falls off the joystick & gets lost. A "replacement" can be had from
the importers - but it's not the same item; it's an extremely crap &
flimsy thing which wears, falls off, and gets lost.

The importers are also a source of worry; 50% of my orders have failed to
turn up at all, one was sent to the wrong address, one was sent by
standard delivery after I'd paid for next-day, ... You get the picture.

Overall, I'm very pleased with mine - it's a nice hacker toy for a small
amount of money. But the company selling it to you does need a serious
kick up the arse.

Vic.