Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Choosing a domain name - .com vs .co.uk

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Choosing a domain name - .com vs .co.uk
On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 03:30:30PM +0000, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Richard Harrison wrote:
> >

> >Forgive me if this is a bit abstract...
> >
> >Say you want to register a internet domain name, and both .com and
> >.co.uk are available, is there a reason to go for one over the other?
> >
> >My instinct is that, for a UK firm looking for local business, .com
> >suggests something 'whizzy' and new, whereas .co.uk suggests something
> >more established and permanent.
> Officially, .com implies you are an international commercial
> organisation, wheras .co.uk implies that you are a UK-based commercial
> organisation.
>
> Of course, how they're interpreted varies from person to person, but my
> personal perception would be that if a UK company registers a .com
> domain even though they don't trade internationally, it looks
> unprofessional.

I generally don't care what the tld is on a domain. These days it's more to do with
availability than anything. For example a year ago when I registered my Limited company the
only domain available which matched the name of my company was .ltd.uk . I haven't seen any
other company use that tld, but I don't really care because I don't use it for anything other
than email.

If I wanted to have a web presence I'd probably go for a .com over a .co.uk.

(if the bastards that are currently squatting on it dropped their price by ~£5K!)

Cheers,
Al.