[Hampshire] Rsync backup problems

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire List
Subject: [Hampshire] Rsync backup problems
I have two machines, one is my desktop (titan) and the other is my server
(sun, both on the same network). I am trying to rsync my home directory
on "titan" to my server "sun" as a backup. I have tried various location
e.g. /var/mybackups and in my home directory (see command below).

mit@Titan:~$ rsync -avz -e "ssh -l mit" /home/mit/
192.168.1.81:/home/mit/titan-backup/

The user mit has an account on both machines with the same password but
everytime I do the rsync command I get errors like:

rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/home/mit/titan-backup/web" failed: Permission
denied (13)
*** Skipping everything below this failed directory ***

and

rsync: mkstemp "/home/mit/titan-backup/.appli doc v2.doc.F1Mc9l" failed:
Permission denied (13)

The few files and folders it does copy over, it places them in /home/mit/ on
the "server"

Both boxes are running debian etch

Any suggestion

Tim