Re: [Hampshire] Java Training course 2007

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Java Training course 2007
On 12/24/06, Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Cayenne-uk wrote:
>
> > I have been making enquiries to various Colleges in Southern Hampshire about
> > Java courses. The only course I can find which may possibly run is at
> > Eastleigh College of FE. BUT they need more participants to make the course
> > viable.
> >
> > If it runs, it will run on Thursdays from 18:00 until 21:00. So, if you have
> > been thinking of learning Java, especially now that Sun is opening it up,
> > this could be your chance. The college is relatively easy to get to either
> > by car, or a short walk from the Railway and Bus Stations.
>
> I've no idea where Eastleigh College is but as I'm currently working in
> Chandlers Ford and often head home via Eastleigh train station it sounds
> like it might be fairly easy to reach for me.
>
> > If you are enrolling, or seriously thinking of doing so, it may be an idea
> > to say so on this list (thread?), to give encouragement to everyone else.
> >
> > http://www.eastleigh.ac.uk/enrolment.asp
>
> I'm seriously considering it. I have no experience of Java and almost no
> experience of OO but plenty of C experience and it sounds like the course
> might actually be quite suitable.
>
> I'll investigate more after Christmas.

I did this course (or a similar java one) at Eastleigh some years ago
- I'm not sure if it was the first year that they had run it but back
then it was badly organised. We couldn't log in to the machines in the
first few weeks without major intervention from IT support. We also
had to install the software several times as it kept 'disappearing'.
We used Textpad (unlicensed) to enter code, which had the annoying
pop-up.

I remember that we spent a couple of convoluted lessons writing our
own code to read input from the command line. I kept thinking that
there must be an easier way to do it than this (after about 20 lines
of code). At the end of this unit, the tutor remarked that we had
implemented our own version of str.readline (or whatever it was) and
that we could use that instead. I'm not sure what I was supposed to be
learning from this, but I definately learned that you should always
check for a library to see if something already exists.

It may have changed since then, as I did this course in ~2002.

Adam
--
http://www.monkeez.org
PGP key: 0x7111B833