Re: [Hampshire] slow source lsit

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] slow source lsit

Tim wrote:
> I am currently using
>
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main
>
> In my apt source list and it is painfully slow, I have tried the program
> netselect to test the speed of the source site and it does not return a time
> (I checked with some US source sites and they replied with times)

I've noticed very slow response times to various http sites today.
Slashdot notes that

"a quake measuring 7 on the Richter scale have struck southern Taiwan
and caused damage to undersea communication cables, disrupting telephone
and internet services in several parts of Asia"

It shouldn't bother us on this side of the world, but stranger things
have been known to slow the Internet down, or maybe it was just the
post-Christmas e-commerce rush.