Re: [Hampshire] slow source lsit

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] slow source lsit
On Wednesday 27 Dec 2006 21:59, Tim wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 December 2006 21:30, Andy Random wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Tim wrote:
> > > I am currently using
> > >
> > > deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ etch main
> > >
> > > In my apt source list and it is painfully slow, I have tried the
> > > program netselect to test the speed of the source site and it does not
> > > return a time (I checked with some US source sites and they replied
> > > with times)
> > >
> > > Does anybody have any faster UK source sites or is using the US sites
> > > ok?? (http.us.debian.org)
> >
> > I have
> >
> > deb http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
> >
> > in my source list, so I'd suggest you try replacing
> > http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ with http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian/
> >
> > Andy
>
> Thanks Andy, I have already run apt tonight so will see what the response
> is like when I next run it.
>
> [Jim]
> I have had this problem for several weeks now and quite frankly the
> earthquake has made no differences.

I too have had this problem for a while now - both with Sarge and with Etch.
It is so slow that a lot of the "get"s time out. I was going to ask the list
for suggestions for a better repository - but wanted to be reasonably sure
first that the trouble didn't lie with me. So I am grateful to have had such
a simple solution suggested as substituting de for uk. :-) I shall do it
immediately. And then run update again....

So, thank you list. :-)

Lisi