[Hampshire] Sendmail, greylisting and rejecting unknown addr…

Author: Graeme Hilton
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Sendmail, greylisting and rejecting unknown addresses
I'm running Sendmail with milter-greylist in an attempt to reduce the
amount of spam I'm getting. There are a couple of problems with my
setup that I'd like to get some advice on.

1. I notice from my mail logs that the greylist milter will tell any
sending server (except those that are whitelisted) to go away for 30
minutes. That's fine, but it even does this when the sending server is
trying an undeliverable address, i.e. one for which I don't have an
entry in virtusertable or a valid alias. How can I get the milter to
reject this out of hand, or better, get Sendmail to reject it before
calling the milter?

2. My ISP runs a backup mx for me. It gets all the spam that I reject
at the SMTP level. Then I download it hourly. It is almost always all
spam, except on the odd occasion that my machine has been offline (ADSL
gone down for a few minutes, power cut, reboot, maintenance or
whatever). Are there any services out there that I can use as a backup
mx that will synchronise with my greylist milter (using the Multi-MX
sync feature)?

--
Cheers,

Graeme Hilton