Re: [Hampshire] Restarting upgraded packages

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Restarting upgraded packages
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:52:02 +0000
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 09:42:43AM +0000, john lewis wrote:
> > I often wonder how important it is to restart a newly upgraded
> > package.
> >

> You really should get out more John.

I do get out - once a month to LUG meetings :-)

> > But how about things like xserver-xorg-core or konsole (2 packages
> > upgraded this morning), do they just run the upgraded package
> > seamlessly?
> >

> "It depends" is my carefully considered and detailed technical
> response.

:0

> For a simple single-executable application like konsole then I
> suspect you will just need to close it and start it again (if it
> was running) to get the new features (or security fixes or
> whatever), for something like a daemon it normally gets restarted
> by the upgrade anyway, for bigger stuff like xorg then I guess you
> need to restart in the same way you would for konsole/firefox.

OK - I usually do restart apps like konsole as I don't lose anything
by doing so. However whilst I have also been restarting X when a
major component is upgraded I was hoping to be able to get away with
not doing so.

The reason for this is that I normally have opera running with a link
to ancestry.co.uk open all the time. I have to login to the Ancestry
site and then choose various options for viewing census images. It
isn't possible to save my selection of options from one session to
the next, for some reason this isn't done via cookies (and there are
13 of them under ancestry.co.uk and another 5 under
id.ancestry.com and still more under various other *.ancestry.*

Restarting X kills the running instance of Opera then restarts it
with all open tabs restored. So although I get the Ancestry url
re-opened I am no longer logged in and have lost my preference
settings.

It isn't a life and death matter just an irritation I'd hoped I could
avoid.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application