[Hampshire] 32-bit apps on 64-bit Linux (Debian Etch)

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] 32-bit apps on 64-bit Linux (Debian Etch)

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57328100.hantslug.org.uk.31367': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jan 1 13:53:08 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

I'm running Debian on AMD64 processors in 64-bit mode. Mostly this has been
easy, the only problem has been the odd 32-bit app that can't be compiled for
64-bit or hasn't been compiled for 64-bit by the vendor.

The AMD64 and it's Intel EMT64 clones can dynamically switch from 64 to 32 bit
modes on the fly, so it's all about making sure you don't mix the wrong kind
of code. There are two approaches to dealing with 64/32-bit on the same
Debian system:

* Run 32-bit apps in a 32-bit chroot.
* Run 32-bit apps in a 64-bit environment, but provide 32-bit compatabilitiy
libraries.

The chroot works well but it's a bit of a pain and I currently only need it
for RealPlayer.

The compatabilitiy libraries (ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk etc etc) work well
for the Opera browser and the Adobe Flash player. The problem at the moment
is that I can't get RealPlayer to run with just the compatability libraries -
it works but there are Pango problems and all my font gylphs are squares,
which makes it a bit of a pain to use.

I don't know how an app knows which kind of library to use, how does a 32-bit
version of RealPlayer know to only use 32-bit libraries, not 64-bit ones? How
come Opera works perfectly and RealPlayer doesn't? If I understood how things
worked I would stand a better chance of fixing them.

Any hints on getting 32-bit RealPlayer to work?

As ever, thanks in advance.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Considering the number of wheels Microsoft has found reason
to invent, one never ceases to be baffled by the minuscule
number whose shape even vaguely resembles a circle.
    -- anon, on Usenet