Re: [Hampshire] Firewire external HDD

Author: Jamie Webb
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Firewire external HDD
On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 03:53:24PM +0000, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Internal HDs are faster than external ones due to protocol involved
> and associated CPU overheads. If you are getting a HD nowdays, I would
> get a SATA (Serial ATA) one if you motherboard supports SATA.

Added advantage: you can get enclosures for SATA drives which provide
an external SATA connection an addition to USB/FireWire (e.g. IcyBox).
Newer motherboards likewise may have SATA ports on the rear panel (and
even if they don't, all you'd have to do is poke a cable out
somewhere).

That way you get the speed of an internal drive, but with an external
enclosure, just like the good old days of SCSI...

/J