Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Big network outage

Author: Duncan B.
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Big network outage

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Rob Malpass wrote:

> ping www.bbc.co.uk - no packet loss ping www.abc.net.au - 100% packet
> loss ping www.itn.co.uk - 100% packet loss

I am unable to ping abc.net.au or itn.co.uk, but can ping bbc.co.uk
from here. They may be dropping ICMP echo requests, so not necessarily
down/unreachable.

> [and on all 3 occasions, it reported the IP address it was trying to
> ping so I conclude (probably incorrectly) no DNS issue]

I think this is a fairly good conclusion taht DNS is working to some
extent at least :-) (Maybe cached)

> I also tried tracert www.bbc.co.uk which sometimes worked, sometimes
> timed out at hops that didn't identify themselves.

Maybe try traceroute without dns lookups? (traceroute -n in Unix, -d from
a Win32 box I think..) May provide an IP address from which you can
obtain more useful information.

> Webpages looked as if they would work, but after the first few bytes
> e.g. just the google logo, they all just hung.

This sounds like packet loss somewhere, or perhaps you are proxied through
a web cache? Check your browser settings to see if you have an HTTP
proxy server specified. If not, it's possible that your network has
a 'transparent' proxy which intercepts port 80 traffic. It could be
this machine that's playing up. This would explain why e-mail traffic is
fine?

> What I don't understand is why if a website pings ok (no packet loss),
> we couldn't get at the content - clearly there wasn't an error at the
> server end.

Again, sounds like proxies.. or just large packet loss to that site

HTH

Duncan