Re: [Hampshire] Online Petitions at Downing St

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Online Petitions at Downing St
John Hunt wrote:
> There's a 'More details' link on the page...
> I quote:
> Software patents are used by convicted monopolists to threaten
> customers who consider using rival software. As a result, patents
> stifle innovation.
>
> Patents are supposed to increase the rate of innovation by publicising
> how inventions work. Reading a software patent gives no useful
> information for creating or improving software. All patents are writen
> in a sufficiently cryptic language to prevent them from being of any
> use. Once decoded, the patents turn out to be for something so obvious
> that programmers find them laughable.
>
> It is not funny because the cost of defending against nuicance
> lawsuites is huge.
>
> The UK patent office grants software patents against the letter and
> the spirit of the law. They do this by pretending that there is a
> difference between software and 'computer implemented inventions'.
>
> Some companies waste money on 'defensive patents'. These have no value
> against pure litigation companies and do not counter threats made
> directly to customers.
>
> John.

Okay, I must confess that I missed that, but it's not exactly eloquent
is it? If you want people to read, understand and then align themselves
with this sort of thing you need to express yourself clearly to minimise
the effort required to do so, otherwise most people's eyes will glaze
over and they will quickly move on.

Sean