Re: [Hampshire] Editing DVD content?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Editing DVD content?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57c2e100.hantslug.org.uk.11099': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jan 16 12:20:39 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:18:17AM +0000, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> * Hugo Mills (hugo@???) wrote:
> > as the MPEG2s that they are, then edit as MPEGs, and *then* convert to
> > another format if you want. For doing the editing, I would recommend a
> > recent avidemux -- it will do editing, rescaling (if that's your
> > thing), and format conversion to pretty much anything sane. If you are
> > outputting to the same format (e.g. MPEG2 video) and simply cutting
> > bits out, it won't touch the video stream, so you get perfect
> > reproduction.
>
> When i have used avidemux, it has had a real problem with loosing
> sync with the audio. I tried to cut a small clip from a film, and
> the sync was abou 2 seconds out. Is this a known problem? Where
> should I look to fix this?

When you first load an MPEG2 into avidemux, it indexes it. If you
look at the end of the .idx file (with "tail" is probably easiest),
the last but one line will read something like:

# track 1 PTS : 1485730378 delta=0381 ms

The delta is the A/V offset, and can then be corrected for in the
box in the left-hand-side toolbar -- set it to the negative of the
delta value (so -381 in the example above).

The A/V sync settings GUI has been changed around several times,
and the author hasn't yet actually developed something which is
user-friendly (despite a significant degree of prompting).

I have a cron script which handles most of my video processing
off-line, and it indexes the videos, works out the A/V offset, and
writes the basics of an avidemux edit script containing the
instructions to load the video and set the A/V offset, so I don't
actually have to worry about it.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
       --- The early bird gets the worm,  but the second mouse ---
                            gets the cheese.