Re: [Hampshire] 22% of Windows Installs Non-Genuine

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 22% of Windows Installs Non-Genuine

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57f13100.hantslug.org.uk.11045': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Jan 24 06:49:53 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
Dean Earley wrote:
> Dean Earley wrote:
>> Jim Kissel wrote:
>>> A one observed, "That means there are 114 million possible F/OSS
>>> (Free/Open Source Software) users out there."
>>
>> So....
>> They're saying that ALL the thieves are potential OSS users?
>
> I've just been pointed out that "possible" meant "could be enticed to
> use OSS sometime" rather than "the current OSS users could be pirates..".
>
> /me shuts up

I'd prefer to think there are 460 million. There's no reason to think
that people who have pirated Windows are more likely to use FLOSS than
those that haven't. For most in the "Western world" people pirate
Windows because they prefer to get something for free, not because they
simply can't afford to buy it.

In the western world, if it becomes too technically difficult to use a
pirated version of Vista then I suspect most potential pirates will just
pay for it. I'm not so sure this would happen in the eastern markets,
but there's large and increasing FLOSS adoption there anyway.

Tony