Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Mystery Blocked Website

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Mystery Blocked Website

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57a5d100.hantslug.org.uk.11195': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jan 26 17:41:47 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 05:06:55PM +0000, Chris Dennis wrote:
[snip]

> I've just discovered that www.3com.com won't load from my Debian machine
> - I'll try playing with MTUs and see what happens.

We've had all sorts of weird issues to do with MTU sizes in the past.
Mail not sending to certain servers, VPNs doing odd things with certain
applications such as Remote Desktop Protocol.

A few other pointers before changing MTU sizes and getting really
confused:

1) Ensure the website you're trying to ping does respond to pings :-) I
always use www.google.com for this.

2) Ensure that it's not another issue first. e.g. DNS is OK for
3com.com, other people can access 3com.com (in case the website is
unavailable for everyone).

If you've got SSH access to another box that uses a different ISP to
yours, you can use SSH tunneling with dynamic ports to test pointer
number 2.

For example:

$ ssh -D1080 username@???

Then in your web browser of choice, tell it to use a SOCKS proxy on
127.0.0.1 using port 1080 (note: if you accidently put this information
in to the HTTP proxy settings, it won't work). All web traffic in
this example will go through hants.lug.org.uk in this example. Check by
going to www.whatismyip.com which should return the IP address of the
box you're tunneling through.

Regards,
David.
--
 .''`.     David Ramsden
: :'  :    http://0wned.it/

Note: I have recently changed my email address, website address and
generated a new PGP key. Please ensure your contact information is
updated.