Re: [Hampshire] Top ten commands in history

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Top ten commands in history
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:12:54 +0000
Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:

>    Midnight Commander. If you ever used XTree on DOS, mc should be
> hauntingly familiar.

IMSMC, XTree had a different interface, mc was more like Norton
Commander.

Xtree arrived free of charge on one of my systems when I
upgraded a hard drive whereas Norton had to be bought (or pirated
and often was)

I used both and leapt at the chance to revive old memories when I
realised Linux had mc, Debian now installs it by default but it used
to be one of the first apps I installed once I had a basic system
running (ie before X etc)

It is immensely useful and far better IMHO than any GUI file manager
that KDE/Gnome have produced. It doesn't do drag & drop but so what!
It does let you see into compressed files and lots more.

I use the option in Konsole to have it running in a root shell.
Dangerous I know, but you can see exactly what you are about to do, so
used carefully it is OK

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application