Re: [Hampshire] Which company provides the best graphics dri…

Author: Alex
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which company provides the best graphics driver support?
On 2/5/07, Alasdair Ross <alasdair.ross@???> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am about to acquire a new laptop following an insurance claim. I
> don't seem to have much choice in the model however, I am concerned that I
> may end up running into problems regarding the graphics drivers and 3D
> capabilities.
> I am currently being offered a Dell Inspiron 6400 with a 128MB ATI X1300
> card but, having googled and found more than a handful of people with
> problems with this card, would I be better off requesting a Nvidia card?

9 times out of 10, you'll be better off with the NVidia drivers. There's
less tweaking with most models and they tend to work 'out of the box' in my
experience. I have refused to buy ATI for years now (except when purchasing
my Thinkpad X31, but I don't need it for 3D accelleration - incidentally,
i've had a nightmare getting 3D drivers working for it) and I have not
regretted it.

In my opinion, I think you would be better off requesting an NVidia card.

--
Alex Collins