RE: [Hampshire] One box, 2 NICs - but with the same MAC addr…

Author: Bond, Peter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Hampshire] One box, 2 NICs - but with the same MAC address
> I'm with the consensus o this. There are other ways to get
> failover and
> load sharing solutions that avoid the problems. How about
> multiple DNS
> entries that alternate/cycle IP responses.

Well, I seem to have won the point on the MAC addresses; thanks to everyone for the input.

The IP address issue remains, but if I've read the docs correctly I *should* be able to do what is required using IP aliases. Can't see much about the behaviour if the alias is set to the same address as the first interface - probably need to try tinkering.

DNS isn't in use on these networks (at the moment), so that is unfortunately a non-starter. If the first network "goes down" (interpreted here as loss of link as that's the only indicator I have in this system), all traffic is to be sent from the 2nd interface instead - BUT the machine has to respond to the same IP address on both ports whilst both nets are up.

> Do the other machine _really_ care if the IP is the same?

Allegedly, yes - but I'm having difficulty getting near the real requirement/problem definition for this.

Peter

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND
CONFIDENTIAL to TANDBERG Television.
If received in error please notify the sender and destroy the original
message and attachments.

www.tandbergtv.com