Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [hampshire] Spoofed from address for emails
>> I'm getting a stream of emails back from all over the world saying
>> that spam from our domain (lymingtonchurch.org) could not be
>> delivered to their server. Two questions:
>
> Happens to me regularly, mostly since I have a lot of domains I
> guess - rather than because I'm being explicitly "attacked".

Has happened to me precisely 6 times in the last 2.5 years. And 5 of those
were in one go. And I have a lot of domains as well.

> No. Although if you publish SPF records in your DNS zone(s) then
> some recipients will be able to tell the mail wasn't sent by your
> domain. Unfortunately they will most likely still bounce it so
> no real change to you.

Not even slightly true.

Anyone who recognises a forged mail will *not* bounce to an address they
already know to be forged - that's how you get listed for backscatter
spam.

TO do so would bhe brokenness of the highest order.

> (SPF is mostly broken anyway. Ahem.)

Completely disagree. SPF is extremely functional despite it being less
than ubiquitous.

> The best thing to do is setup a filter for mail bounces and discard
> them, ignoring the problem.

This also means you will not be informed of any real email problems.

Vic.