[Hampshire] Qemu and TAP: Was [OT] Tricky legacy DOS applica…

Author: John Hunt
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Qemu and TAP: Was [OT] Tricky legacy DOS applications..
Moving onwards from previous thread...

I *think* I have tcp/ip working on my qemu DOS image, it detects the
ne2000 ISA network card just fine..now I want to get the qemu DOS
machine to talk to it's host (don't care about internet or any
external networks). So I've followed the tap guide I found for
qemu/windows [1] (the host machine is windows XP pro)

[1] http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/TapWin32-en.html

However, I've not had much luck. I can't seem to ping the host from
the guest or the guest from the host with the following settings:

DOS network settings:
IP: 192.168.1.150
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.100

TAP adapter on host machine (my-tap):
IP: 192.168.1.100
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 10.0.2.2
dns: 10.0.2.3

Ethernet adapter on host machine:
ip: 10.0.2.15
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 10.0.2.2
dns: 10.0.2.3

When I start qemu, the tap adapter comes to life 'connected at 10Mbit'
etc.. so that looked promising, it even sends quite a few
packets...however, none are recieved.

I have started qemu on the host like this:
qemu.exe -fda \\.\a: -boot a -L . -m 8 -hda hestates2.img -localtime
-M isapc -net nic,model=ne2k_isa -net tap,ifname=my-tap

Any ideas?
Cheers,
John.