Re: [Hampshire] apt-get help needed please

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] apt-get help needed please
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:36:28 +0000
David Anderson <lists@???> wrote:

> I am delving into the commandline on a new Ubuntu machine. It is a
> VMWare virtual appliance, and I want to install webmin on it. I have
> tried an apt-get update followed by apt-get install webmin which it
> doesn't find. I have downloaded the .deb package directly from
> webmin site, but I don't understand how I can get apt-get to pick
> up the downloaded file.

I think you need to use "dpkg -i webmin" from the directory your
downloaded deb package is in. Apt & co are front ends to dpkg.

You may have problems unless you already have any dependant
packages installed, you may need to enable one of ubuntus non-default
repositories in order to get this package and its dependents.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application