Re: [Hampshire] Losing data on iPod

Author: John Hunt
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Losing data on iPod
> > OK - first up, I have no knowledge of the Shuffle. 'Er Indoors has a Video
> > iPod; I'm assuming that these are smiilar, and that might be a huge
> > mistake :-)

Yup, I think it's got the same kind of file system.

> > Are the tracks stored in files on the Shuffle? The 5th generation units
> > use a database-type affair. This sorts out namespace collisions nicely
> > (you can have as many tracks called "Song 2" as you like - whether they're
> > by Blur or not), but means you need the right tools to talk to it...

Yes, it uses the standard iTunes DB thing.

> > How are you talking to the unit?

I'm using banshee, which is a lot like Rhythmbox, although it has
proper iPod support (sync button etc). I don't think this is the
problem.

> Not especially helpful ion this instance I know, but consider the
> competition next time around. I have an iAudio X5 that simply shows up
> as a hard drive. I copy stuff across into the 'MUSIC' folder, using any
> operating system that supports USB, and it works. It looks good, sounds
> good, it's built to withstand rough handling, and it supports oggs.

Ah, don't get me started. There's two reasons why I don't have a
different mp3 player. The first is that this was a birthday gift. The
second reason I think you're wrong is because as much as everyone
loves to bash apple, the interface to ipods imo is un-paralleled. I've
yet to use an mp3 player from a different manufacturer which has an
interface as nice and easy to use as the click wheel thing, or has a
nice simple super-small/elegant design like my shuffle. Yes,
technically it's not as good, but I've had other players in the past
from iRiver etc.. my imp550 for example, it claimed to support OGG,
but then there was the smallprint stating certain bitrates etc were
un-supported. I do love vorbis though.

</rant>

Cheers,
John.