Re: [Hampshire] Apache2 SSL Install/Config on Ubuntu

Author: Richard Mace
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Apache2 SSL Install/Config on Ubuntu
> As Vic said, specify which IP address(es) you want to listen on.
> Otherwise apache won't open port 443 on the IP address(es). Example:
>
> Listen 192.168.1.1:443

If I do that, I get:

richard@shuttle:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload
 * Forcing reload of apache 2.0 web server...
         (98): make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443
Unable to open logs

> I suspect that the reason it works on the loopback interface is that
> you have a Listen 127.0.0.1:443 elsewhere in the config.
>
> I'd also specify a ServerName inside the vhost config. Example:
>
> ServerName foo.example.com
>
> It's not strictly necessary, but it makes life easier and I have had
> problems with applications that tried to use the ServerName to
> generate URLs in the past.
>
> If you still have problems show us the output of:
>
> openssl s_client -connect <IP address>:443

openssl s_client -connect 127.0.0.1:443
connect: Connection refused
connect:errno=29

> You'll need the openssl package installed, but if you've been
> generating certificates or CSRs, I guess you'll have it installed
> anyway.

Yes, I have them installed.
Thanks for your help so far.

Richard