Re: [Hampshire] Xearth and Ubuntu desktop

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xearth and Ubuntu desktop
On Saturday 17 February 2007 13:23, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> For someone that knows, this should be an easy one....
>
> I'm trying to get xearth working on Ubuntu - and I've almost managed it.
> Essentially it's installed and runnning ok - except I can't see it. In
> fact the only way I knew it was working ok was when I shut down and I saw
> it for a split second before the machine powered down.
>
> I conclude (perhaps incorrectly) that the image created by xearth was ok
> all the time but it was underneath my desktop. However I'd already
> switched off wallpaper. I can make it visible in a window with the
> -noroot option but I want it as my desktop wallpaper. Presumably this is
> an easy one - anyone any ideas?

What desktop are you using? xearth puts the image on the X desktop. KDE
(and presumably Gnome) places its own desktop image over the top of this
(even if the 'image' is just a flat colour), so you won't see the xearth
picture.

Under KDE, you have to set up xearth (or xplanet, which does the same
sort of thing, but has a lot more options, and isn't limited to just
the Earth) you have to set the KDE background to use the output of a
program (basically, it tells xearth to generate an image to a file,
then loads that file itself). I believe KDE has some settings by
default for xplanet (they're listed in my KDE config, but I used to
run xplanet, so may have added them myself ages ago).

Gnome might have similar options (insert (in)appropriate comments from
Linus at this point :-) ). Ditto for other desktops/window managers etc.
I've only ever used it with KDE however.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???