Re: [Hampshire] Edimax Wireless card?

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Edimax Wireless card?

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Tim wrote:

> This is the same card as I am having problems with at the moment, it uses the
> rt2500 chip which from everything I have read (and John confirmed) works.

Thanks Tim, that is useful to know, though I'm not sure whether I find
that encouraging or not...

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, John Cooper wrote:

> I have to compile my own rt2500 driver for every new kernel I install.

I definitely don't find that encouraging, I have absolutely no interest in
compiling my own drivers!

However a quick google on Ubuntu and rt2500 provides a help.ubuntu.com
page which claims the following "Since Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) the
rt2500 driver is installed out of the box"

> I use WEP as I'm not sure the rt2500 can cope with anything else.

The same page suggests the rt2500 supports WPA or WEP.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT2500

So its probably worth 12 quid to get one and try it...

Andy