Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Help with Outlook PST file

Author: James Ashburner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Help with Outlook PST file
Tim wrote:
> Yes it is a windows question so please cover your eyes if it is to much for
> you.
>
> Has anybody used any software (linux or MS based) for recovery\repair of
> Outlook pst files??
>
> You can uncover your eyes now
>
> Tim

> Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal
> http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

What exactly is the problem with it? Outlook 97-2000 PSTs had a limit of
2GB and actually tended to corrupt around 1.8GB. Outlook 2003 PSTs can
go up to 20GB.

If it's corrupted due to being oversize you can use Microsofts repair
tool, I think it's called scanpst (the knowledge base will tell you
where you can find this or I can email you a copy from work tomorrow).
The other option is a PST splitter we have at work.

Scanpst randomly deletes a certain amount of email (decided upon by you)
and you have to experiment with how little you can remove before it
opens. The splitter is a much better tool I believe but I've not
actually used it myself.

Either way, ensure you attempt repairs on a copy of the PST as these
procedures are not reversible. You can also expect to lose any directory
structure within the PST.

James