Re: [Hampshire] Feb 10 TechTalks Videos?

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Feb 10 TechTalks Videos? Mark II
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Feb 10 TechTalks Videos?
On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:59:45AM +0000, Jim Kissel wrote:

> Alan Pope wrote:
> >On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:27:19AM +0000, Jim Kissel wrote:
> >>Is it just me and my setup/configuration that is having problems getting
> >>sound out of the WMV format files? I'm running Ubuntu EE and Totem-xine
> >>with the latest w32codecs, but both the small and large WMV files from
> >>Tony Whitmore's talk on Ubuntu fail to produce and sound. I've no
> >>problem with the OGG files, and DVD's and CD's play ok on my machine.
> >>

> >Of course the first question is "why?". Why try and play the videos that
> >are specifically designed for non-Linux platforms when the Linux native
> >ones work?
>
> Of course your correct in regard to the HantsLug. There are the other
> formats, so there is no need to use a close/non-Linux
> platform/protrietary format when I can use an open one. Unfortunately
> not all media web sites offer alternatives to WMV/MP4.

Ahh, makes slighty more sense now ;)

The following page use most useful for Ubuntu:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

also:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/WindowsCodecs

Which has extra options if you are having problems playing WMVs.

Cheers,
Al.