Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
> Security through obscurity is an actual
> security engineering technique, in use in many systems, and is not
> necessarily and universally a bad idea. This would be a example of
> a good use of it. :)

Not necessarily :-)

The only actual problem with "security through obscurity" is that it tends
to replace, rather than augment, other security systems.

So, in this case, there's nothing wrong with hiding the port unless that
means that users think they can get away with reduced security elsewhere -
weak passwords, for example.

What port-moving will do for you is to cut down the amount of noise in
your logfile - but I find it quite amusing watching people (not all of
them are bots) trying to guess passwords on a SSH server that will only
accept key-based logins :-)

Vic.