Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:46:04 +0000
Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:

> Surely that should be the DebianBasedDistroLug (DBDL for short)
> aka HantsLug??

I used to get ribbed by non-Debian users a few months back 'cos it
seemed 90% of HantsLuggers used Debian so I used to say it was the
DebianLUG - now that other distro seems to have poached many
who previously were Debian stalwarts.

I don't want to start any sort of flame war but I simply don't see
what attracted _experienced_ Debian users and made them switch.
Is it just that people have become brainwashed into wanting life made
easy, so prefer gui interfaces for everyday admin tasks instead of
doing it via an xterm?

I can understand ubuntus appeal to Windows users more easily tho'
even there I think KDE is more akin to what they are used to than
Gnome which seems to lean towards the Mac look.

And there are plenty of other distros that are aimed at this sector
of the market so is it just media hype that makes ubuntu flavour of
the month?

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application