Re: [Hampshire] SIP based IP phone app.

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SIP based IP phone app.
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:27:25 +0000
Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent SIP based IP phone application
> for Linux?

Can anyone explain why a VoIP phone connection is more useful than a
conventional phone?

If you have cable broadband you get a free phone line and with ADSL
you have to pay for the line so might as well use it for telephone
calls.

Paying extra for sip provision seems pointless and requires you to be
at the computer to make a call. A wireless conventional phone does at
least allow you to make or take calls anywhere in range of the base
station.

I should mention that our telephone bill is at most a couple of
UKP a month as we rarely make phone calls, most communication
is via email nowadays.

Mobile phones do have their uses* but we rarely use ours and it is
switched off until such time as it is needed to make an "emergency"
call whilst in the car or out on my bike.

* the way most people use them is evil IMHO, as an example I was
stood outside the house the other morning when kids were being taken
to school. The road they walk down is 50 yards away but I could hear
people using their phones from that distance. Not loud enough to
understand the conversation but enough that I could tell they weren't
just scratching their ear :) </rant>

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application