Re: [Hampshire] [OT] BBC Petition

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] BBC Petition

On Sun, February 25, 2007 18:18, Andy Random wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Gordon Scott wrote:
>
>> Why I wonder should a taxpayer funded public service broadcaster need
>> DRM?
>
> As I understand it the BBC makes a significant proportion of its income
> from CD/DVD and overseas sales.

Listening to the BBC backstage podcast that was linked to, the
BBC doesn't own most of its content. They have contracts to
actors, musicians, writers etc which prevent them from just
releasing content to the public. Even if the BBC were willing
to release everything freely, other right holders are unwilling
to have their content released without some protection.

--
Be seeing you,            Web: www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                       IM: samuel.penn@???