Re: [Hampshire] Debian Woody

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Woody
On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:35:30PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 Feb 2007 08:45, Alan Pope wrote:
> > Ubuntu wont fail to install just because it cant get the video working.
> > The Live CD may not boot to the GUI of course, and in that case you can
> > use the alternate CD which has a text based installer.
>
> I'm afraid KUbuntu did - as did Knoppix. And I could only use what I had with
> me.

I am having difficulty understanding you. You installed Kubuntu onto the hard disk and then could not boot to it because the
screen went blank?

> > >   And when even if it had
> > > agreed to install, any files would have been invisible.  ;-)
> >
> > Every Ubuntu install has a recovery mode - which is selectable from the
> > boot up grub menu. In this mode it boots to a console - no GUI - and
> > from there the necessary logs (the xorg for example) can be viewed, and
> > changes made using text based tools.
>
> Again, unusable if you can't see. For a GRUB menu to gbe used, one has to be
> able to see it. :-)

Grub is the very first menu that comes up. It is plain ASCII text and doesn't immediately set the video mode to anything
particularly rude. This is before you see any kind of graphical interface at all. It happens just after the BIOS has
finished checking everything.

I have yet to see a machine that can't display the boot loader.

Can you clarify what you did? Install from CD or just boot from it and run the live CD?

Cheers,
Al.