Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
> And everyone who has been defamed by morons who think the gmail "junk"
> button is a delete button should blacklist aol,gmail and yahoo domains.

Yep. AOL are probably the hardest I've had to deal with, but I've heard
gmail can be just as difficult. And a surprising number of their addresses
get 451s or 550s when they try to connect to my servers...

> In reality, common sense should prevail - but in currently it seems the
> "jobsworths" have the upper hand :-)

The problem is that common sense can't prevail in the first instance -
there's just far too high a volume for manual intervention. But there
ought to be some sort of remedy for the enormous amount of false positives
generated by some of these behemonths - sadly, I suspect the only real
rememdy will be the forming of a yahoo/AOL intranet :-)

> p.s. FYI it is worth considering dropping all .de addresses from any
> mailing lists you operate as well - FWIHBT this also cuts down the
> amount of paperwork you have to deal with as germany is in the eu
> and thier strict laws now apply to any uk list operator.

That depends on the conditions of service you've agreed. If you do a deal
with someone over the Internet & accept their TOS, those have been found
to be binding - whether you've ever seen them or not. But if someone signs
up to one of my lists, they do so under the auspices of *my* TOS. And
Germany cannot unilaterally force me to obey their laws, since none of my
operations are in Germany.

Vic.