Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
> IANAL but this is how it was explained to me. It could be wrong or
> simply not in place yet.

It's not as simple as all that...

> We are in the EU - which means that if you commit a criminal offense in
> .de, you can be arrested in the UK and extradited without UK "due
> process". FWICR the UK signed up to the EU "fast track" extradition
> treaty as part of the "war of terror"

Terror suspects don't seem to get any due process anyway. But this
wouldn't apply to anyone committing any act in any EU country which is
contrary to the laws of another - that would mean all of us getting
arrested and extradited[1].

Running a mailing list in the UK is not going to get me banged up in
Germany for having a German participant. There is a difference between an
extradition agreement and total surrender of all sovereignty (at least
there is until St. Tony cocks it up again).

There was a point (60-odd years ago) when it loked like we were going to
have to accept German law in its entirety, but that seems to have apssed
for the present...

Vic.

[1] Germany has all sorts of strange and wonderful laws. You're not
allowed to fit your own towbar - that's considered a material change in
the car's construction, and must be performed (or at least inspected,
which costs just as much) by a TuV-approved mechanic.