Re: [Hampshire] DVD ripping

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD ripping

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5860d100.hantslug.org.uk.16621': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 4 00:18:53 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 02:34:16PM -0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
>    This isn't particularly Linux, but please bear with me - a few
>    questions:

>    1) Am I right in saying you can copy DVDs to your hard disk or
>    whatever if you own the DVD?   I presume this is as legal as ripping
>    CDs to our mp3 players which as far as I know is legal

Both are illegal, currently. That is the subject of this petition:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/privatecopy/

As you can see, the government now agrees that an exception should
be made for personal backup copies, but this exception has not yet
been made. Therefore it is still illegal to do what you propose
both for DVDs and for CDs (for those that say "all rights reserved"
and then don't grant you the right to copy, obviously, not all CDs
and DVDs, just almost all of them you buy).

I am not aware of anyone that has ever been prosecuted for having
backup copies.

Cheers,
Andy